There is no need to worry about what to do with your excess spuds! Just freeze the potatoes for future cooking.
Badly stored potatoes are very dangerous to your health, therefore you need to know the right way to freeze potatoes safely.
Many users are searching the internet to find out the answers to questions like “Can I boil potatoes and then freeze them?“ or “Can I freeze boiled potatoes?”.
Table of Contents
Can You Freeze Boiled Potatoes?
If you have a huge amount of potatoes, you can freeze them, as this process will extend the shelf life of your excess potatoes to use them over a longer period of time.
You can make baked potatoes, French fries, and croquettes from Frozen Cooked Potatoes in just a minute.
Although freezing boiled potatoes will cut the time of preparation as we mentioned above, poorly packed potatoes will take on a soggy, watery, or even grainy texture once thawed.
You can freeze cooked potatoes, but you will find minor texture changes when you defrost them.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Pâté
How Long Can You Freeze Potatoes?
Boiled potatoes can be stored in the fridge for a maximum of a week, but you can extend the shelf life of boiled potatoes for 3 to 4 months if you freeze and pack them properly.
You can’t tell exactly how long you can freeze potatoes, as some potato varieties can be kept in the freezer very well and other varieties can not.
Waxy potato varieties such as white, red, and yellow potatoes are perfect for freezing.
Potatoes with low moisture content can last in the freezer for a longer period of time with minimal texture changes.
Potatoes with a green tinge are very harmful, this green tinge is a sign of prolonged sun exposure and this leads to the formation of toxic compounds that are very dangerous.
Choose firm, smooth, and blemish-free potatoes for the freezing process to be stored perfectly.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Hummus
How To Freeze Boiled Potatoes?
Now let’s take a look at the step by step guide on How can you freeze boiled potatoes,
Here’s your step by step guide to know exactly How can you freeze boiled potatoes? All you need to follow these simple steps to save your potatoes and your time, let’s start.
First step: Preparing the Potatoes for Freezing
- You should clean the potatoes before boiling them, with a soft brush start to scrub your potatoes under cool running water to get rid of dirt and dust.
- With a peeler or knife peel the outer layer of the potatoes and don’t forget to remove the eyes and/or blemishes.
- If you have large potatoes, you can cut them into smaller pieces to be easily stored in your freezer.
- Fill a large pot with water and let it boil, then put your potatoes to be cooked for 5 to 6 minutes or until slightly tender. Do note that you shouldn’t cook the potatoes completely, you need the potatoes to be firm.
- While waiting for the potatoes to cook, prepare a bowl of iced water.
- Now you need to put the potatoes in the iced water, with a slotted spoon, scoop each potato and give it an ice bath to stop the core heat that can cook the potato completely
- Get the potatoes out from the ice bath, and pat each potato dry with paper towels.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Vinegar
Second step: Packing and Freezing the Potatoes
- Spread the potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet after removing them from the ice bath to make sure that each one is completely cooled.
- Put the baking sheet in the freezer for 2 or 3 hours until the potatoes become frozen to stop the potatoes from clumping together.
- In a resealable plastic bag or a large freezer-safe container, put the frozen potatoes in, then seal the container or the bag carefully.
- Don’t forget to write the date with a permanent marker, then stick in the container.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Baked Potatoes
How To Defrost Boiled Potatoes?
If you diced and sliced the potatoes before freezing them, you will be able to cook the potatoes immediately.
Diced and sliced potatoes don’t need to thaw before cooking, as they thaw during the cooking process.
For whole boiled potatoes or large-sized, you just need to transfer the resealable bag or your container from the freezer to the fridge and leave the potatoes to thaw for several hours or overnight until they completely defrost.
To prevent that soggy and watery texture of the defrosted boiled potatoes, you just need to add thawed boiled potatoes when the dish is almost done cooking.
You should prepare the dish without the potatoes and add the spuds just as you are about to wrap up . This simple tip will make your potatoes look fresh and tasty.
Important To You : Do Sweet Potatoes Go Bad
The answer to the question “ Can you freeze boiled potatoes? “ Yes, with simple and easy steps you can store boiled potatoes for a long period of time and extend their shelf life.
Don’t be worried and give it a try.
WIKI Wikipedia: Potato