Many people love double cream and can eat it as much as they can, others use it in many recipes. You may have a large amount of double cream more than you can handle and want to consume it later, Can You Freeze Double Cream?
The article is dedicated to helping you understand more about freezing double cream. keep following so you can learn the best way to store your double cream in your freezer.
Can You Freeze Double Cream?
This is a question you often find in cooking pages, and the answer is yes, double cream like other dairy products can be frozen but under certain conditions.
These conditions will be explored in another paragraph. For now, it’s safe to say that freezing your cream seems like a good option for the long run.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Vinegar
How To Freeze Double Cream?
Here is a step-by-step guide to know exactly How can you freeze double cream properly.
If you have a small amount of double cream, you will have two options:
- In a food-grade resealable plastic container pour double cream. Mark the bag with the name of the product and the storage date. Place the plastic container in the freezer and you’re done.
- You can use an ice cube tray to freeze unwhipped double cream, but this way only for small quantities only.
If you’ve got cartons of double cream to freeze or large amount, you can use this way:
- In a suitable rigid plastic container with an airtight cover transfer your double cream.
- Remember do not fill the container to its brim, leave about an inch or two of space.
- This way, the cream could expand as it freezes.
- Cover the double cream with an airtight lid carefully
- Mark the container with the name of the product and the date, then leave it in the freezer.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Oranges
How to Defrost Double Cream?
You can defrost frozen double cream in a very easy way.
Just follow these simple steps:
- Transfer the container from the freezer to the fridge.
- Leave the product to thaw for several hours to overnight.
- After it thaws, the moisture and butterfat would clump together so the thawed cream looks watery. To solve this problem, all you just need to do is before using the cream, give it a good stir to re-emulsify the ingredients.
You may notice that, when you whip the cream, it may appear grainy at first, but do not worry when you add other sweetening ingredients, you will find the consistency of the cream return smooth again.
You may lose a bit of double cream body after whipping thawed cream, it is quite normal to happen when thawing. This is due to the freezing process and the expansion of water content in the product.
Don’t try to refreeze thawed double cream, this will break down fat molecules and make the product watery. You can only use refreezing thawed double cream in cooking.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Half-and-Half
Common Questions Concerning Double Cream
If you have a question that is surrounding the double cream, you will probably find the answer in the following questions:
How Much Fat Does Double Cream Have?
In the market, you will find three types of cream, single, double, and whipping cream. Fats in single cream is about 18 %, while in whipping cream is about 36 %.
The amount of fat found in double cream is double the amount of fat than regular cream at 48%, and this is the reason why double cream is named as such.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Pâté
What Can I do with Leftover Double Cream?
You can freeze double cream successfully, but there are specific factors you should look at before you start to freeze double cream.
- First factor: Fat molecules distribution in the double cream, when you freeze double cream fat molecules stick together. This disturbance will change the texture of double cream, thawed double cream is safe to eat or cook with but its consistency will be different. You should follow the right way to freeze double cream properly and avoid this problem.
- Second factor: Water content in double cream should be considered. During the freezing process, water found in double cream will expand. Use a larger container to store the cream, remember to leave sufficient space. If you fill the container to its brim, the container may burst or overflow as the cream expands during freezing as we mentioned before.
Important To You : Can You Freeze Baked Potatoes
Does Freezing Heavy Cream Ruin it?
For an ideal result, you should freeze double cream when it’s in the whipped form so it doesn’t lose its original texture as it thaws. Also, you need to keep double cream in the freezer for 1 to 3 weeks.
Can you Freeze Double Cream in its Carton?
No, you cannot freeze double cream in its original packaging so it won’t burst in the freezer. You should transfer the leftover double cream to a plastic container for freezing it safely.
Important To You : Does Sour Cream Go Bad
Creams with a fat content of less than 35% cannot be frozen, according to famous bakers. You can freeze double cream successfully without any problems if you follow the steps we mentioned in our article.
However, due to the high-fat content of this cream, freezing it will require extra preparation. If you skip the preparation steps or forget to whip the cream very fine, you will end with a runny or watery product after thawing!
Note that, Refreezing thawed double cream or watery one can’t be used for baking, as it may affect the consistency of the product. However, you can use it in cooking dishes.
We hope you found the article useful, don’t forget to give it a try and tell us about your experience in a comment below, finally, we will be pleased if you share this information with your friend.