If you found a bottle of coconut water stored somewhere is the shelf, then you probably asked yourself “Does Coconut Water Go Bad?” You might check the use-by date and realize it’s quite reaching its end. This is why it’s worth knowing the answer to the question “Can Coconut Water Go Bad?” to avoid consuming expired coconut water.
There are plenty of questions we shall answer in such article. These questions include “How to tell if coconut water is bad” as well as knowing The shelf life of it. so, follow along!
(Credit: Josiah Weiss)
Does Coconut Water Go Bad?
This is the big question. can coconut water really go bad? after all, its a drink and thus probably doesn’t go bad, right?
Wrong! coconut water does go bad. and this is why you should be careful before consuming it. because it could lead to plenty of health issues if it does go bad. the water can expire quite fast as well if it’s not well stored.
How Long Does Coconut Water Last?
This depends greatly on the condition of the water. as an unopened package of water can last way longer than an opened one which expires fairly quickly.
(Credit: Emily Bauman)
The unopened cartons can be stored in the pantry or in a cool and dark place for as long as 9 months. provided that the bottle is well sealed.
Opened bottles can go bad really fast. It can last around 1 or 2 days in the refrigerator. which is why it’s highly suggested to consume the water as soon as possible after it has been opened.
There are other brands of coconut water that last slightly longer, such as Amy and Brian. According to the FAQ, your coconut water can last up to 3 days from opening it, Of course, if it’s well sealed and refrigerated.
If the unopened bottle was stored in a mild temperature, not the pantry, then it could have gone bad. You should check if it has spoiled or not before consuming it to avoid food poisoning.
|Opened||3 – 5 days|
How To Store Coconut Water?
So you happen to buy a bottle of decent coconut water. How do you store it so it lasts longer?
You should be able to store the coconut water just like Gatorade. To do so, follow these simple and really practical steps to protect it from expiring:
(Credit: Nipanan Lifestyle)
- Put the water in a plastic container, with an inch or two allowed for the liquid to expand.
- leave it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Take it off the freezer, then seal it very tightly and put it in the refrigerator for consuming.
if you happen to want to store the water for a prolonged amount of time, it’s best to freeze it fully. This can also be done by following these steps:
- Pour the water into an ice-cube tray.
- Leave it in the freezer for 1 hour till it’s fully frozen.
- Use a decent freezer bag and put the ice cubes into the bag and seal it well.
- Keep it in the freezer for as long as you want.
But generally speaking, it’s best to store coconut water the way it was stored in the supermarket. If it was refrigerated then it’s better kept refrigerated. if it was in the pantry then it’s better to keep it in the pantry. and so on.
How To Tell If Coconut Water Is Bad?
So you found a bottle of tasty coconut water and the use-by date is kinda late. how do you know if it has gone bad or not? To answer these questions, there are signs you should take a hint of while examining the bottle that could tell you if the water has expired or not.
(Credit: Artem Beliaikin)
- Look: The water should be usually clear, this is how it’s found in the coconuts and so it should be like that. Discoloration isn’t a good sign in general. However, it’s worth noting that some brands of coconut water, such as Harmless Harvest, happen to change in color to pink when opened. Which is perfectly okay and isn’t a sign of spoilage. So, make sure to check each brand separately.
- Carbonation: This is coconut water, not coconut soda. finding the water fizzy and bubbly isn’t the best sign of a good product.
- Smell: the smell of good coconut water is really subtle and gentle. if once you open the bottle you find a very strong aroma. it could mean that the water has gone bad.
- Taste: take a sip of it, if it starts to taste sour instead of sweet, and you can’t sense the coconut taste in it, it’s probably not safe to consume or use.
- Consistency: Good coconut water is usually clear and light. if it feels sticky and thick. this could mean that it has gone bad.
Seeing two or more of these signs is good enough to throw away that bottle. as they say, it’s always better safe than sorry.
What Happens If You Drink expired Coconut?
Expired coconut water is really not safe for consumption. Especially if the seal has been broken. don’t try drinking a water bottle or carton that has spoiled. but generally speaking, if the water looked and smelled fine even past its expiration date, it probably won’t cause much harm.
(Image used under Creative Commons from: University of Texas)
But if you happen to notice any symptoms of food poisoning, it’s best to consult a doctor or even call an emergency to ensure that expired coconut water didn’t really cause any major health issue.
In answering the question “does coconut water go bad?” we touched upon plenty of other major questions. such as How to store coconut water as well as How to tell if coconut water has gone bad. We hope we have been able to answer all of these questions properly. If you still have any questions that are concerning you, make sure to leave it in the comments and we will answer it as soon as possible. Thanks for reading and have a great day!