Molasses is a truly tasty sweetener. it’s made of sugar cane that has been turned into viscous sweet liquid. There are different types of molasses which depend on the extraction method as well as how much sugar there is in it. But that leads us to the big question: Does Molasses go bad?
I know what you are struggling with. you bought some bottles of this sweet sweetener, left them in the pantry for god only knows how long, and now you found them again. It seems that it has long passed the expiry date. You are probably asking “Does Molasses expire?” and this is what we plan on answering in the following article.
(Image used under Creative Commons from: heisajo)
Does Molasses Go Bad?
You might think that perhaps molasses is like Honey, both are sweet after all, but that isn’t right at all, just because both taste sweet and are sticky, doesn’t mean they have the same shelf life.
You would be surprised to hear the answer to this question, but Yes, molasses does go bad. this is because its a sweetener that can promote bacterial growth due to its hygroscopic nature.
However, it can last for a long time if you can make sure it’s stored well and properly. Even after the expiry date, it can still be good for consumption. This is why it’s important to know how to store molasses effectively.
How to store Molasses?
It’s important to know how to store molasses as good storage is essential to keep it as fresh as possible. Here is how you can store it:
- You should avoid heat and humidity while storing your molasses as they negatively impact its quality.
- Store the bottles in a cold and dry place. The pantry is always a good choice.
- Upon opening the bottle, you can keep it in the pantry if you want. Refrigerating the bottle is also helpful to preserve it even longer but it would be really hard to consume as it gets even more viscous than usual.
- Make sure you are sealing the bottle well as any contamination might causeit to go bad.
How long does molasses last?
If you are wondering about the shelf life of molasses, then it’s easy to assume that this sugar cane sweetener rarely spoils. but it heavily degrades in quality. Here is how long you should expect it to last:
(Credit: Gee I Jane)
- Unopened molasses bottle: This will last the longest if it has been stored in a cold and dry place. You should expect it to last for more than 2 years after buying it.
- Opened molasses bottle: Once the bottle has been opened, then it becomes harder to keep it for a longer time. This is because molasses can get contamination that will greatly affect its taste. It’s suggested that the sweetener is consumed within one year of opening the bottle.
How To Tell If Molasses Is Bad
There are sure signs you Can use to tell if molasses has gone bad. You only need to take note of them. Here are the most common signs of spoiled sweetener that you should be careful with:
- Damaged seal: The bottle should be well sealed after usage. If the seal happens to be damaged and the bottle seems contaminated, then it’s not wise to consume it.
- Signs of mold: Mold is never a good thing. If for whatever reason you start seeing mold accumulating on the top layer of the molasses then it’s a sure sign that you should throw it away.
- Signs of Crystalization: Molasses is a liquid syrup and it should be like that. If you found it forming crystals, then perhaps it’s not the best to eat.
- Awkward or unpleasant smell: Molasses has a distinctive and strong smell. But when it expires, the smell will be altered and different from the usual. once you notice that the smell is no longer what you are used to, then you should throw it away.
- Weird taste: The taste of the sweetener shouldn’t be weird. it should be sweet as you have always known it. If you taste the sweetener and it has a different than usual smell, then it’s safe to throw it away for quality purposes.
Molasses Common Questions
Here are some of the most common questions concerning molasses in case you need them.
(Credit: Sydney Kramer)
Does molasses need to be refrigerated after opening?
No, you don’t need to store the bottle in the fridge after opening it. However, storing it in the fridge will keep it lasting for much longer than usual.
What does spoiled molasses smell like?
This is a hard question to answer, mainly because it depends on the brand of molasses, as well as How long it has been stored.
A general rule is that, if it doesn’t smell right, then it’s probably spoiled.
What are the side effects of molasses?
There are no general side effects for consuming this sweetener The only reason you should worry about consuming it is due to having diabetes as it is high on sugar which would cause health concerns for diabetics.
Molasses is one of the sweeteners that can be used to make a variety of foods. This is why it’s important to know the answer to “Does molasses go bad?” to safely consume it without worry. We also explained How to store molasses to ensure it lasting as long as possible. If you have any questions, you can check GoldenBarrel for extra info and answers. make sure to leave any unanswered questions in comments and we will answer them as soon as possible. Thanks for reading, have a nice day!