One of the most popular condiments is soy sauce. it’s really famous in Asian cuisine and is one large demand. you probably have a pack of sauce in the cupboard. and you are probably wondering “Does soy sauce go bad?” which is why we are writing this article.
Answering the question “Can soy sauce expire” is not that simple. first of all, it depends on the brand. Second of all, the way the soy sauce was stored is really important in determining How long it can last. This is why it’s really important to know How to store soy sauce so you can keep it fresh for as long as possible.
Follow along to know the answer to all of your questions, including the shelf life of an opened bottle of sauce as well as How long does it last. Make sure to keep reading to know the answer to the question “Does soy sauce go bad” in the following lines.
(Credit: GoodEats YQR)
Does Soy Sauce Go Bad?
The answer to this question might not be clearly evident but it’s there. The problem lies in many factors that make it hard to tell if it will go bad or not. But generally speaking, Soy Sauce does go bad. it just happens really slowly.
The reason it happens this slowly is because of the really high sodium content of the bottle just like Miso and Teriyaki sauce. It is rich in sodium and this makes it really hard for bacteria to find it’s way to it. This is what makes the sauce go bad really slowly, it can take months for it to start going bad past its expiry date.
How Long Does Soy Sauce Last
Now that we know that soy sauce does go bad, it’s time to know how long is the sauce good for, and the answer to that isn’t as simple as you might think.
(Credit: Florian Metzner)
Depending on the condition of the bottle, you will find a different answer to such a question. This is because different storing conditions affect How long the sauce can last. Here is a general estimate of how long does it last:
- Unopened soy sauce: This will last the longest because it usually has perseverant materials in it. You can eat it even after 2 years of the best-by date.
- Opened soy sauce: Despite being opened, it will last for a really long time, around 6 months since the best-by date.
|Unopened||2 years||2 years|
|Opened||6 months||1 year|
How to Store Soy Sauce
Now that we have learned how long does soy sauce last, it’s important to learn how to store it properly so it can last for as long as possible. Here is how to do it:
(Image used under Creative Commons from: Sam)
- Search for a cool and dry area to store the bottle effectively. A pantry is a good place as well as the cupboard of your kitchen.
- Opened soy sauce should be stored in the refrigerator if you are not planning on using it consistently.
- If you use the sauce regularly, you can keep the opened bottle in the pantry and it will still remain good for use.
- Seal the bottle tightly with the original seal to ensure no contamination can reach the sauce.
How To Tell If Soy Sauce Is Bad
Assuming you did not store your sauce well. Perhaps you didn’t seal the bottle tightly or you left it past the best-by date. you probably now sitting with your bottle of sauce asking yourself: How to tell that soy sauce has gone bad?
According to the Kikkoman website, the sauce should be good as long as it’s well stored and away from contaminations.
(Credit: Caroline Attwood)
However, there are signs you should look out for if you want to check if the sauce you have is actually safe to eat or not, here is what you should be looking for:
- Odor: fresh bottles of sauce has a unique smell. and it definitely shouldn’t smell off or unfamiliar. If you notice that the sauce you have is developing an unpleasant odor, then it’s a sign you should throw it away.
- Look: Expired sauce may develop mold and look different from the usual. seeing such a sign is enough to know that your bottle has gone bad.
- Taste: We are all familiar with the taste of the sauce. adding expired sauce may ruin your dish, so, it’s suggested that you taste it before adding it. Any difference in the taste means that it’s not safe for consumption and should be discarded.
Common Question about Soy Sauce
here are some of the most asked questions concerning storage as well as soy sauce in general.
(Credit: Agto Nugroho)
Does soy sauce go bad if not refrigerated?
No, you can store the bottle of sauce on the kitchen counter or the pantry and it will still remain good for usage. Refrigerating the sauce only helps in keeping it tasty for longer as the cold temperature preserves the taste.
What is the shelf life of opened soy sauce?
It depends greatly on the storage condition. But generally speaking, the average shelf life of soy sauce is 2 years.
How long do soy sauce packets stay good
Packets of sauce can remain good for 2 to 3 years, but the quality would degrade the longer it’s stored.
We hope we managed to cover all of your questions. Answering the most important question “Does soy sauce go bad?” is a clear Yes that we have elaborated upon in our article. We also covered important topics such as How to store soy sauce as well as the shelf life of soy sauce.
If there is a question we have forgotten, let us know in the comments and we will answer it as soon as possible. We hope our content helped to answer all of your concerns. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.