Tofu is a really popular food made out of Soy milk. some people call it “bean curd” because it’s made of soy milk that has been coagulating then pressed into white blocks called tofu. and it’s really healthy food to eat. but what if you found a block of tofu in the cupboard. How can you tell that tofu has gone bad? This is the question we will answer in this article.
We will explain in this highly detailed article if Tofu does expire or not. As well as explaining How long does it can last. You can also find in this article How to store it so it lasts longer. If you don’t know if tofu goes bad or not. keep reading on!
(Image used under Creative Commons from: Angela Dice)
Does Tofu Go Bad?
Tofu is a food, and most foods do go bad. So, the answer to this question is a definitive yes. it does go bad. but it depends on many factors:
- The type of tofu you have, some types are stable on the shelf and others are better left in the fridge.
- The sell-by date which will determine how long tell it goes bad.
Overall. Answering the common question of “Can tofu go bad?” is sure yes, it does go bad check these tips on How to store tofu.
How To Store Tofu
We know from the above passage that tofu can go bad. Now we will explain How you can store it properly so you can preserve it for as long as possible.
(Credit: Hermes Rivera)
To learn how to store your tasty bean curd properly, you should first know what type you have at hand. and there are two types available in the markets:
- Shelf ones, which does not need to be refrigerated.
- refrigerated tofu which is found in the supermarket’s fridge.
If you are unsure what type you have, it’s a good idea to just put it in the fridge. Make sure it is well sealed with some space above it.
You can also submerge the block in water for even better preservation. But make sure to read the label first to see if the producer suggests submerging it or not.
Some brands are totally against submerging it into water. An example of that would be Morinu who tells you to not cover your product with water. SoyBoy on the other hand are even advocating storing the product submerged in water.
If the brand hasn’t strictly said to not put it underwater, you can submerge it as it properly won’t harm and even preserve the leftover longer.
How To Store Leftover Tofu In Water
If you have some leftovers that you don’t know what to do with, then, it’s a really good idea to store it in water. Storing leftovers is hard as it doesn’t last as long, but water can extend that period a little bit, here is how:
(Credit: Anh Nguyen)
- Choose a decent container, preferably airtight containers to avoid contamination and to preserve it as long as possible.
- Submerge the leftovers in water, the water should cover it all from all corners.
- Seal the container tightly and put it in the fridge.
- Every day, make sure you change the water to ensure it’s clean and fresh.
Can You Freeze Tofu?
You probably have bought some tofu and probably asked yourself “How To Freeze Tofu?” because you want to keep it as long as possible. it’s suggested that you store it in the freezer. the steps to follow are quite easy, here is what you should do:
(Credit: Anh Nguyen)
- First, you should drain the tofu from the water inside of it. use paper towels as well as pressuring the product a little bit so it can lose most of its water.
- After draining it from water, wrap it in a freezer wrap. Make sure you are wrapping it tightly. You can use a freezer bag if you want but make sure it’s well sealed with no headspace in the bag.
- Put the sealed package in the freezer and leave it there. it will last way longer than usual.
Note that the texture changes when it’s frozen. After thawing it you will realize it became far firmer than usual. Take note of that because firm tofu might not be the best in preparing some types of meals.
How long can you keep tofu in the fridge?
You might be wondering how long can you store tofu. The shelf life depends on a lot of factors. but generally speaking:
(Credit: Nagesh Badu)
- Unopened packages stored in the fridge can last as long as The best-by date. After that, it would last for an extra 3 to 5 days past the printed date.
- Opened packages go bad quickly, even if refrigerated. it can last a maximum of 3 to 5 days in the fridge.
- Unopened tofu stored in the freezer can stay there for as long as 3 to 5 months past expiration date.
|Sold Refrigerated - Unopened||3 – 5 days|
|Sold Unrefrigerated - Unopened||1 week|
|Opened||3 – 4 days|
How to tell if Tofu has gone bad
Perhaps you have stored some leftover tofu. or it has passed its sell-by date. How do you know if it has gone bad? The answer to such a question lies in the following points.
(Credit: Anh Nguyen)
- Color: It’s one of the most obvious signs of spoilage. Good tofu is usually white. Expired ones usually have a yellowish tint to it.
- Smell: you can easily tell if the product has gone bad using a smell test. good tofu usually has no sour smell while bad one has this sour smell to it.
- Taste: If it looks good and smells good, take a small slice, does it taste sour and cheesy? if so, it’s better to throw away the rest of it as it seems expired.
We can easily answer the question of “Does Tofu goes bad?” with a definitive yes. We also elaborate on How to tell if it has gone bad. as well as explaining different methods of storage and shelf life of tofu. If you have any questions to ask, leave them in the comments and we will reply to them as soon as possible. Hope you enjoyed reading. Have a great day!